Thursday, April 11, 2013

Kahlua Pork Tostadas (and Gluten Free)

This recipe is inspired by a dish we had at Disney's Polynesian resort. Captain Cook's is a quick service restaurant that we ate at while hanging out at the volcano pool at this resort back in 2011. My husband got these pork nachos and they were amazing! By no means is my recipe a duplicate of the one they use there, that's why I call it "Disney inspired." Their nachos had a delicious and tender pork and pineapple salsa, which is what inspired me to make my own version. I however am serving this on a tostado to cut back on some of the calories from the chips. For the pork, I am basically using my recipe for the Best Darn Pork BBQ and just substituting pineapple juice instead of orange juice to make a Polynesian BBQ sauce. Then I took my Mango Tango Salsa recipe and just omitted the mangos to get a pineapple salsa. I love using my tried and true recipes and changing an ingredient or two to create an entirely new meal! The best part is that you can use the leftover pork and make the Best Darn Pork BBQ for another meal during the week!

This recipe is about 275 calories for one serving, which is one tostada, pork, BBQ, salsa, low fat cheese and fat free sour cream. I get all my nutritional info from My Fitness Pal. Have you tried this app? It lets you enter a recipe and all the ingredients and it calculates all the nutritional info for the recipe! I love it! I have to admit I ate two though, so I'm a little over 500 calories for dinner, which isn't so bad. If I keep breakfast and lunch under 300 calories, then my snacks to 100 calories, then have this for dinner I'm still only a little over 1200 calories.

Here are the ingredients for the pork roast:
  • 2-3 lbs. pork roast
  • 1 tbsp. dry mustard
  • 1 tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 tbsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp. sea salt
  • 1 tbsp. black pepper
  • 1/4 cup liquid smoke
I'm going to be honest and say I never measure out those spices. I just rub them all over the meat until it looks well coated in the spice rub. Use however much you think is appropriate for your taste. After you rub the spices on the pork, place in slow cooker and pour in liquid smoke. Cook on low for at least 12 hours.
Pineapple Salsa:
  • 1 cup diced pineapple
  • 1 jalapeƱo, seeded and diced
  • 3 Tbsp. diced red onion
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro 
  • Dash lime juice
  • Sea salt to taste
Mix all ingredients together and store in fridge until ready to serve.

Polynesian BBQ sauce
  • 1 cup ketchup (Heinz for gluten free)
  • 2 tbsp.  Pineapple juice
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea and Perrins or Kroger for gluten free)
  • Dashes of liquid smoke, cayenne pepper and dry mustard
For the Tostados:
  • Oil
  • Corn tortillas
  • Low fat or fat free cheese and sour cream*
To make the tostados, you'll need corn tortillas and a little bit of oil. You need the oil to crisp up the tortillas. Heat the oil in a skillet and add tortillas. Cook until they start to brown and get crispy. You can finish crimping them in the oven at 450 degrees.

When the pork is fully cooked and shreddable, remove from slow cooker and place in a bowl and shred. Place about a tablespoon or two of the pork on the cooked tortilla. drizzle with BBQ sauce and top with low fat cheese. put back in oven until cheese is melted and starts to brown. remove from oven and top with pineapple salsa and fat free sour cream. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment