Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Super Shells and Cheese

I have seen a recipe floating around Pinterest for Macaroni and Cheese that you cook the pasta in milk instead of boiling it in water.  And of course do you think I could find it when I was looking for it...NOPE!  I am pretty sure that I pinned it at one point, but I have thousands of pins and not a lot of time. I decided to wing it and it turned out pretty darn good!  This dish tastes like baked mac and cheese because it is thick and dense, but you don't have to spend the time baking it.  I served this with Kickin' Baked Chicken and Zucchini Fritters.  

Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese 
  • 1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar
  • 2 Tablespoons Mascarpone
  • 3 Cups Uncooked Small Shell Macaroni
  • 3 3/4 Cups Skim Milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon Dry Mustard
  • 1 teaspoon Salt (you might want more)
In a large sauce pan combine milk and pasta and bring to a simmer.  Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for about 15 minutes or until pasta is cooked tender.  

Add in cheese, salt, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper.  Stir.  Cover and let sit for 2 minutes.  Remove lid and stir again.

I think that it will be best when eaten fresh, but I plan on eating some of the leftover tomorrow so I will let you know how that is too.

No comments:

Post a Comment