Sunday, April 27, 2014

Easy Cheesy Broccoli and Rice

A few months ago I posted a recipe for Broccoli and Cheddar rice that we all enjoyed, but I came across a different recipe that said you could make it ahead of time.  Anything that I can make ahead of time is a winner in my book.  I tweaked the original recipe a bit.  Believe it or not I actually reduced the amount of cheese!  I also eliminated the Ritz cracker topping because my husband finds crumb topping (except the sweet stuff on top of muffins) to be completely unnecessary.  I liked the large chunks of broccoli in this (vs. little tiny pieces) because it actually made me feel like I was eating a vegetable.
Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups Minute Brown Rice
  • 1 (14.5 oz) Can of Chicken Broth
  • 3 Cups of  Broccoli
  • 6 oz of Velveeta Cheese (cubed)
  • Pepper to Taste
Serves 6

Bring chicken broth and broccoli to a boil.  Add rice, stir, and reduce heat to low.  Cover and cook for 6 minutes.  Turn of heat, add Velveeta cubes, stir, and cover for additional 5 minutes.  Stir to mix cheese throughout.  Add pepper to taste and Enjoy!

The original recipe says to cover and refrigerate if you are making it ahead of time.  I only made mine about an hour a head of time so I just left it covered on the counter and reheated it on the stove.  I will post an update when I actually make it a day in advance.

Follow the Magical Moms on Facebook and Pinterest for weekly menu ideas, crafts, and Disney Magic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment